A collegial work environment is trusting and supportive, improving the flow of ideas and work products while recognizing the individual need of each member of the staff.
To be truly successful, the
Treasury Human Capital Strategic Plan (THCSP) challenges managers with Goal 7 to "Have a work environment that is safe, healthy, flexible, and supportive and focused on providing an optimum work-life balance."
Arnold Bateman's article on
Developing a Productive Team. provides the fundamentals for a collegial work environment, suggesting -
Demo comment: The list can be shorter. Committee to select 3 or 4 team building items to highlight.
- High level of interdependence among team members
- Team leader has good people skills and is committed to team approach
- Each team member is willing to contribute
- Team develops a relaxed climate for communication
- Team members develop a mutual trust
- Team and individuals are prepared to take risks
- Team is clear about goals and establishes targets
- Team member roles are defined
- Team members know how to examine team and individual errors without personal attacks
- Team has capacity to create new ideas
- Each team member knows he can influence the team agenda